Holiday Recipe Extravaganza – RJ Scott
Dec 19, 2011 Filed under: guest blogger, holiday, Holiday Recipe Extravaganza, m/m, recipes, sweet treats
Jesse’s Christmas, coming from Silver Publishing 25 December
For Jesse Connor, Christmas is nothing but a series of bad memories. It takes a man imbued with the spirit of Christmas to help him realize that the Christmas spirit lies in everyone–if they only know where to look.
Jane Asher’s Chocolate Caramel Shortbread
175g spreadable butter
75g castor sugar
200g plain flour
25g soft brown sugar
450g tin (or squeezy bottle) condensed milk
200g milk chocolate drops
Makes 10-12 slices
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175g°C (160°C fan assisted, 350°F, gas mark 4). Grease and line a 7”x11” baking tray
2. Put 150g of the butter into a mixing bowl, together with the castor sugar. With a wooden spoon, cream together until soft .
3. Add the flour, and mix together, pressing the flour into the butter/sugar with the back of the spoon
4. Turn the mix out into the pan, pressing it evenly out with your hand to fill the pan
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes until just beginning to colour at the edges. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin
6. Put the remaining butter, brown sugar and condensed milk into a small pan.
7. Heat carefully, stirring all the time, until it begins to bubble – keep scraping right round the bottom, or it will catch and burn (although don’t worry if you do find up a few dark bits – once covered in chocolate you’ll never notice!)
8. Keep stirring until the mix thickens – this will only take a couple of minutes – then remove from the heat and, still stirring, let it cool for a few seconds, before spreading it over the shortbread base. Allow to cool
9. Melt the chocolate in a basin over hot water or in the microwave, then spread it evenly over the base.
10. Leave the chocolate to set, then divide into rectangles